Innovation, Science, and Technology Building, Room 2044, 4700 Research Way, Lakeland, FL 33805
Ph.D. and Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, University of Central Florida
M.S. in Industrial Engineering, University of Central Florida
B.S. in Industrial Engineering, (Magna Cum Laude) Universidad de Puerto Rico, Mayagüez, PR
Websites/Social Media Accounts*
Google Scholar Profile
Dr. Grisselle Centeno is a professor in the Department of Data Science and Business Analytics (DSBA) and serves as the director for the Health Systems Engineering program at Florida Polytechnic University. She joined Poly in January 2019 after serving for over 18 years in the department of industrial and management systems engineering at the University of South Florida where she was tenured.
Centeno’s primary research and teaching interests include optimization-based modeling for the planning and control of operations in service industries including healthcare, education, transportation and entertainment. Specifically, her research work has focused in the areas of capacity planning and mathematical modeling to support decision-making. Centeno’s research has been funded by NSF, FDOT, and ONR, and published in the Journal of Annals of Operations Research, Computers and Operations Research, IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing and Transportation Research Records among others.
Centeno is also highly involved in conducting research in the area of engineering ethics, engineering education (including K-12), and promoting the growth of a diverse engineering workforce. She has received several grants for these initiatives. For her philanthropic and creative efforts to promote women’s education and women’s initiatives she has been recognized with the faculty research award by the Women in Leadership & Philanthropy organization.
Since 2006, Centeno has served as an industrial engineering and data analytics consultant to Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, where she continues to provide support to the operations research/advanced analytics team on projects related to optimization and process improvement across the various lines of business within the corporation.
Centeno also holds a faculty appointment in the Morsani College of Medicine at the University of South Florida (USF), Tampa, and co-directs the Health Systems Engineering Scholarly Concentration. She was tenured and served as a faculty member for over 18 years in industrial and management system engineering at USF.
- Health systems engineering
- Capacity planning
- Data analytics
- Decision making
Honors and Awards
- ELATES Fellow, Class of 2020
- Keynote Speaker, Talent Development Symposium, CSCMP Central Florida Roundtable, March 2019
- 1st Place Poster Competition – Centeno and J. Iezzi, “Academic and Industry Collaborative lean Six Sigma Custom Course” Healthcare Systems Process Improvement Conference, San Antonio, TX, Feb 2019
- Advanced Manufacturing Workshop: Preparing the Next Generation of Researchers, invited participant and speaker – Iowa State University, NSF sponsored, October 2017
- 2016 Symposium: 21st Century Mindsets & Strategies for Career Advancement, University of California, Berkeley
- Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium fellow, 2015 – National Academy of Engineering
- 2013 recipient of the Faculty Research Award from Women Leadership and Philanthropy- WLP
- Women’s International Research Engineering Summit, invited participant, NSF-Advance sponsored, Barcelona, Spain, 2009
- IIE Outstanding Young IE in Education Award, (runner up) 2006
*External, third-party sites not maintained by Florida Polytechnic University