For the past few weeks, the University has encouraged our employees to telework/telecommute as we adjust to the almost daily changes brought upon by the COVID-19 pandemic. In accordance with the Department of Labor (DOL) regulations, we are posting a notification on our website as a result of the new Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA). The Act has been adopted to protect employees who are unable to work because they are:
- subject to a federal, state or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
- advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;
- experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and are seeking a medical diagnosis;
- caring for an individual who is under quarantine or isolation because of COVID-19;
- caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19;
- experiencing any other substantially-similar condition specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of Labor and Treasury.
In the event you are dealing with any of the circumstances now or at any time before the end of the calendar year, please don’t hesitate to contact the Human Resources office for help. HR can assist you by determining your eligibility for the protections, explaining them in more detail, and providing you with information on how to obtain the benefits offered. The Department of Labor has also published some FAQ’s that include helpful information on the new law.
If you are an OPS Student Worker, the University is currently researching the Act’s applicability to you and will communicate with you and your supervisor on the outcome.