Recently, one of our students was involved in a serious vehicle accident at the intersection of Research Way and University Boulevard. We want to respectfully remind everyone to be aware of their surroundings while driving. When possible, make room for vehicles and pedestrians, even when you have the right-of-way.
University Boulevard & Research Way, as well as University Boulevard & State Road 33, are traffic gateways for the cities of Auburndale and Lakeland. These areas are considered rural. Even though there is less traffic in rural areas, these roads are as dangerous as crowded highways. There are more vehicle incidents attributed to speeding among rural drivers.
The University and Lakeland Police patrol University Boulevard vigorously in an attempt to slow traffic, but even at slower speeds you should remain alert. On rural roads, a driver can easily miss a stop sign and end up causing serious injury.
Remember your safe driving tips:
- Keep 100 percent of your attention on driving at all times – no multi-tasking.
- Don’t use your phone or any other electronic device while driving.
- Slow down. Speeding gives you less time to react and increases the severity of an accident.
- Be aware of what other drivers around you are doing and expect the unexpected.
- Assume other motorists will do something crazy and always be prepared to avoid it.
- Keep a two-second cushion between you and the car in front of you.
- Make that four seconds if the weather is bad.
- Build time into your trip schedule to stop for food, rest breaks, phone calls or other business.
- Adjust your seat, mirrors and climate controls before putting the car in gear.
- Pull over to eat or drink. It takes only a few minutes.
- Secure cargo that may move around while the vehicle is in motion.
- Don’t attempt to retrieve items that fall to the floor.
- Have items needed within easy reach – such as toll fees, toll cards and garage passes.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Drive sober and drug-free.
The University Police is here to help and serve you. If you have any questions or are ever in need of our services, please do not hesitate to contact the Florida Polytechnic University Police Department by email or call 863-874-8472.